Renew your Driving License Online
To apply online, you’ll need to:
- have a valid UK passport issued within the last 5 years
- be a resident of Great Britain
- pay £20 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card
- provide addresses of where you’ve lived over the last 3 years
- have your driving licence (if you don’t have your driving licence you must say why as part of your application)
- have your National Insurance number
- not be disqualified from driving
DVLA will get the photo and signature for your new driving licence from your passport. If this isn’t possible, or you don’t want to use the photo on your passport, you won’t be able to renew your licence online.
Your driving licence should arrive within 2 weeks.
If you have a photocard driving licence, you must renew it every 10 years – you’ll receive a reminder before your current licence ends.
If you apply online you’ll be agreeing that DVLA can check your personal data, including your National Insurance number.
DVLA will confirm your details with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). If DVLA can’t fully verify your identity, you’ll be told what to do at the end of the application.